Sunday 15 September 2013

Lesson 1 - Shape of woman face

Many illustrators skip sketching faces of models on illustrations, just giving them shape. It belongs to the own style of fashion illustrator. I personally find that my illustrations look unfinished when I don't draw the eyes, lips and nose. For example, my this sketch seems very "poor" without details of the face, isn't it?





Regardless of your drawing style, model's shape of the face is very important for the completeness of the illustration. So, I've selected several common shapes of woman faces and whatever you use will describe the nature of your model. You will definitely choose the most delicate shapes, but consider that more rough ones can give the model specific characteristics. Especially I use square or rectangle shape when I draw rock or punk style models. So let's first learn the basic shapes from my sketches:





If you draw a certain person, the shape of the face is very important in order to make the person recognizable. So just try to look around you, recognize the peoples face shapes and try to sketch just the shape. I draw first a circle then I shape the face, as presented below:




Here I suggest you to explore several interesting shapes of famous people and try to draw their faces identical to them. For experiments, just try to change the height or length of the face and you will see significant modifications.













With love,

ClementAna

No comments:

Post a Comment